The MAC Hyde Park Centre (MHP) was initially contemplated in the summer of 2019 with a unique opportunity to partner and invest for the future of the community. The MHP is currently targeted to open in the summer of 2020 for a communal space to be built at the Hyde Park Square shopping centre (1175 Hyde Park Rd), although there are efforts to also have some use during Ramadan 2020. The MHP is a unique opportunity since the community is able to acquire a partial ownership in the shopping centre, which will in turn fund a significant portion of the rental and maintenance cost of the space rented by the community. The design for the MHP Centre is yet to be finalized, however the Centre is anticipated to have spaces for gymnasium, prayer, small kitchen, and some multipurpose rooms. Community meetings are being hosted at MAC Westmount Centre to ensure there is clear communication about this new Centre. Some of the key goals of the new Centre include the following;
- Provide spaces and services for youth, such as BYG, SYG, and various halaqas (learning circles)
- Provide a venue for the community, especially youth, to be physically active in a well-equipped gymnasium space. The gym will also be capable of hosting small events and private functions.
- Serve the needs of the community in one of the fastest growing parts of the city that already has a very high concentration of Muslims living in it.
- With the sale of MAC Youth Centre, provide an alternate venue to serve the community in the northern part of the city.
- Build human resources, programming, systems, and processes in preparation for the future MAC Noor Gardens Community Centre.
- Support MAC Westmount Centre in terms of expanding services and programs to a different part of the community with additional space.
MAC Hyde Park Centre Committee
The MHP will be operated by the MHP Centre Committee, similar to MWC, and consists of various volunteers and leading Centre staff, that overlook the day to day operations of the MHP. Their efforts will be fundamental to ensuring professionalism, organization and commitment to service that was demonstrated at MWC is maintained and built upon. The team members of the MHP Centre Committee are in process of being finalized but they include the following.
- Khalid El Kadri (Interim Chair)
- Jehan Kadri
- Zakiya Fadel
- Ali Hamou
- Support from Chapter Committee and Westmount Centre Committee
Like the MAC Westmount Centre, the MHP will have very similar activities, though there will be special programs to utilize the gymnasium as well. Below is a list of the various additional activities offered by the MAC Hyde Park Centre.
- 5 daily prayers
- Youth Programming (Brothers and Sisters Youth Groups)
- Gym and athletic programs
- Family Nights
- Quran Hifz (memorization) Program
- Arabic School Program
- Mom and Tot’s programs
- Taraweh (Ramadan evening prayers)
- Tahajjud (Late night prayers)
- Iftars and Suhoor (pre-fast, and breaking of the fast meals)
- And much much more…